Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Trailer Park Tuesday: Heads in Beds by Jacob Tomsky


Welcome to Trailer Park Tuesday, a showcase of new book trailers and, in a few cases, previews of book-related movies.  Unless their last name is Grisham or King, authors will probably never see their trailers on the big screen at the local cineplex.  And that's a shame because a lot of hard work goes into producing these short marriages between book and video.  So, if you like what you see, please spread the word and help these videos go viral.




After traveling to two dozen cities in 44 days on the Fobbit book tour, I'm a self-proclaimed expert on hotels (and yet, somehow I always manage to wet my hands at the sink before unwrapping the paper from the little bars of soap).  But I've got nothing on Jacob Tomsky, author of the new book Heads in Beds. Subtitled "A Reckless Memoir of Hotels, Hustles, and So-Called Hospitality," Tomsky tells the story of his decade in the lodging industry.  As the publisher's description notes: "He’s checked you in, checked you out, separated your white panties from the white bed sheets, parked your car, tasted your room-service meals, cleaned your toilet, denied you a late checkout, given you a wake-up call, eaten M&Ms out of your minibar, laughed at your jokes, and taken your money."  The trailer for the book is a simple series of snarky zingers Tomsky throws at the camera.  Aided by a peppy 60s-era jazz soundtrack, the Heads in Beds video is funny ("Drunk guests?  Love 'em!") and biting ("I hate when people threaten to stay at other hotels.  I don't care, because if you're yelling at me, I'd rather have you stay anywhere else").  The trailer does what it sets out to do: it makes me want to read the book.  (Note to Mr. Tomsky: Sorry, but I'm one of those despised "bring-your-own-pillow guests."  I don't go anywhere without my beloved memory foam!)


No comments:

Post a Comment